* Ranabima Royal College was founded by Mr. W.M.P.B. Dissanayake, former chief minister of central provincial council and Mr. Palitha Elkaduwa, former Secretary of Central province Department of Education
* Opened in 1996 by the provincial council governor Mr. Stanley Thilakarathne on March 2, the day of commemoration of the signing of the Kandyan Convention by King Rajasinghe II.
* The land which is being selected to build the school has its own historical value. Sri Lankans have many victorious memories over many invading enemies on this land hence taken the name "jaya bima" (land of victories).
* The idea behind establishing such a school was originated by Mr. Palitha Elkaduwa. He had devoted his time and skills in making his dream a success. The main idea behind establishing this school, according to Mr. Elkaduwa was to provide students from rural parts of central province with a high quality education and to increase the understanding among different ethnic groups.
* This is the only school in Sri lanka where all the students are selected from an admission test which all the students from central province can participate.
* First principal of Ranabima Royal College was Mr. S.M. Keerthirathne. The first academic staff for the college had 16 members, were selected through a qualification test.
* There were 320 students at the start of the college. 240 Sinhala medium students and 80 Tamil medium students.
* Student of Ranabima Royal College sat for ordinary level exam for the first time in history in year 2000 and showed the success of this special project gaining 100% results.
* It was in year 2003 that the students of Ranabima Royal College sat for advanced level examination for the first time. Since then Students have shown great results.